Wednesday, March 12, 2008

a birthday treat


Tomorrow is my birthday. And tonight I celebrated! After wrapping up the class I teach (and stuffing a burrito into my mouth in .05 seconds), I attended a lecture by Tracy Kidder, the writer of "Mountains Beyond Mountains," a book that I absolutely loved. To write the book, Tracy Kidder followed Dr. Paul Farmer—a man who has essentially DEDICATED his life to helping resolve the pandemics of HIV and tuberculosis. And by dedicated I mean DEDICATED. While his work began in Haiti many years ago, he has taken the success of his organization (Partners In Health) to several other countries since, including Russia and Peru. He is now focusing his efforts on the continent of Africa. The lecture was inspiring (duh) but in a very unusual way. I didn’t leave the lecture feeling like my life was inadequate or that I should sell my possessions and move to another country to live (in a hot water-less home). Instead, I left feeling like I could really do something to make a dent in the world. Even if I can never live like Paul Farmer. Paul Farmer himself discourages the notion that anyone in their right mind should try to live the way he does. Instead, he suggests that we get together in groups, and use the talents that we have and love...for good. A simple request, really. So, on the eve of my birthday, I feel enlivened--ready to team up with my miraculous friends and family to make some serious change in this world. Any takers?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Count me in!
And happy happy birthday!!

kdh said...

thanks, eryn! how was your sister's prom shop?

Unknown said...

I'm in... Just tell me when and where.

HAPPY BIRTHDAT

"March 13th the date,
Happy Birthday Kate..."

Unknown said...

oops I meant BIRTHDAY (doy!)

kdh said...

i kinda liked birthdat. :) love!

djd said...

So true! It was an amazing talk, I didn't think Kidder would be such an inspiring speaker and so humble-esque...truly still out there spreading Dr. Farmer's vision even 5 years after the book was published.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I've changed my definition of success as a result of Paul Farmer's message. In my eyes, success was being able to make a living doing whatever it is you are truly passionate about.

My new definition of success: Being able to help others (and make a living) doing whatever it is you are truly passionate about. Someone please contact Webster's.

Rufus said...

Mountains Beyond Mountains is one of my favorite books of all time. I have fond memories of relaxing in my sandy box reading the pages, each one more inspiring than the last. If I had opposable thumbs there is no doubt that I would be in Haiti working as a physician alongside Paul Farmer.

kdh said...

aw, rufus. you really impress me with your many talents. dori and jeff, glad you both came away with a similar message.